Type of information: Restructuring
Compound: CEO -CSO - COO - CBO - member of the board of directors
Company: 89Bio (USA - CA)
Therapeutic area: Hepatic diseases - Liver diseases
Type agreement: nomination
- • On October 25, 2018, 89Bio, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and other liver and metabolic disorders, announced the appointment of seasoned biopharmaceutical executive Rohan Palekar as CEO.
- Mr. Palekar most recently served as president and CEO of Avanir Pharmaceuticals from 2015 to 2017, after holding key leadership roles upon joining the company in 2012. Avanir was acquired by Otsuka Pharmaceuticals in 2015. Previously Mr. Palekar was the chief commercial officer of Medivation, and he also held senior commercial and strategic management roles at Johnson & Johnson. Mr. Palekar received an MBA from the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration at Dartmouth College and bachelor's degrees in law and accounting from the University of Bombay.
- Additional executive team appointments include:
- Dr. Michal Ayalon joins 89Bio as head of R&D. Most recently, Dr. Ayalon led the FGF21 program at Teva, and previously she was vice president of R&D at Galmed, where she was responsible for the Aramchol program targeting NASH.
- Ram Waisbourd joins 89Bio as COO and chief business officer. Mr. Waisbourd previously held operational, strategy, and business development positions at Teva. Most recently he was vice president of strategy and transformation and a member of the executive leadership team of Teva Specialty R&D.
- In addition, Dr. Michael Hayden, prior president of global R&D and chief scientific officer at Teva Pharmaceutical, joins 89Bio's board of directors as founding board member.