Type of information: Nomination
Compound: chief financial officer - clinical director - chief development officer
Company: Antabio (Fance)
Therapeutic area: Infectious diseases
Type agreement: nomination
- • On January 05, 2018, Antabio announced the addition of four highly successful and accomplished biotech executives to the management team. These appointments come soon after the first closing of Antabio’s Series A financing round and notification that Antabio has been selected as one of 18 out of 368 international candidates for a CARB-X subsidy award of up to $8,9 million.
- Starting January 1st 2018 and on a part-time basis, Gordon Waldron will lead Finance, Carole Sable will oversee Clinical Strategy, Helmuth van Es will direct Business Development and David Lathbury will manage CMC activities.
- Gordon Waldron and Carole Sable have previously worked together at Novexel (as CFO and CMO, respectively) where they held leadership roles in the financing and development of a novel anti-infective pipeline prior to concluding the successful sale of Novexel in 2010. Helmuth van Es was a founder of Galapagos which has become one of the leading biotech companies in Europe with a market capitalization of €4 billion. David Lathbury was previously Director of Process Chemistry at AstraZeneca and VP of Chemical Development at AMRI.
- Antabio’s lead molecule is now in preclinical development and is expected to enter the clinic in early 2019 with fast track to potential market approval by 2023. This programme aims to develop a metallo beta-lactamase inhibitor (MBLI) combined with meropenem to treat infections caused by WHO’s priority pathogens in order to address a critical unmet need and fill an important gap in the antibiotic armamentarium. The incidence of metallo beta-lactamase resistance is rising sharply in many areas of the world and in particular in China.
- Antabio’s second programme targets chronic Pseudomonas infections. This programme has recently earned support from the global CARB-X initiative with up to $8.9M non-dilutive funding and free access to NIH preclinical services up to completion of Phase 1.
- The company is in the process of seeking further pipeline expansion through external opportunities and additional funds to accelerate development